Box Office history and the plan

Coordinator
May 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM
I started the Box Office project because I needed to build an event system to manage the online box office for a community theater group. The group puts on a bunch of shows each year, for which they exclusively sold tickets to performances off-line. They have a web site to promote group activities and shows so a few forward-thinking board members wanted to pursue online ticketing. Not only do they sell tickets for performances, but they have other events such as casting calls, rehearsals, demonstrations and skits at other community events, etc., all of which need to be organized and promoted either privately (members only) or publicly.

The original web site I built for them was done in classic ASP back in 2004. It only provides ticketing and is not integrated into the site very well so it is in dire need of a face lift, not to mention a complete overhaul. I set up a PayPal account for them, but they do not currently use PayPal web services so patrons are sent to PayPal's web site to complete their purchases. This has caused some headaches so I plan to build in PayPal web services to start.

The plan for Box Office is to build a completely integrated event management and promotions machine. In my research, I found most ticketing system projects to be somewhat lacking in features and customization so I plan to build in as much flexibility as I can to manage different types of events.

More details to come...

-Dan